Ebenhard S. (Gandy) Gandrud - 1984 Inductee
(1902 - 1988) Gandrud was the County Agent in Pipestone County during the Great Depression. President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal Agricultural Adjustment Act required accurate measurement be taken of land to be withdrawn from production. Gandrud’s first invention, in response to this need, was a rod measuring wheel.
His invention of an accurate measuring wheel led to the founding of the E.S. Gandrud Co., now known as Gandy Company. Starting with $100 in borrowed money, he started the company in Owatonna in 1937. More inventions resulted in additional products, including applicators for accurate spreading of fertilizers, chemicals, herbicides, and insecticides. A factory building, designed by Gandrud, was built in 1946. By 1984, fourteen additions had been constructed, enlarging the plant so that it had 2½ acres of floor space. The Gandy Company is now a diversified manufacturer of farm equipment, specializing in accurate chemical and fertilizer applications. Although the measuring wheel is still made, granular chemical applicators with precision metering devices are the major production items. His 80 patents relating to the accurate application of agricultural chemicals have made the company foremost in this field. Gandrud also holds a number of foreign patents, and has been honored by the U.S. Government for his contributions to American agriculture.
NOTE: These biographies have been compiled from information accompanying the nomination form submitted to the Minnesota Inventors Hall of Fame, information available on the Internet and from a variety of other sources.